Sunday, March 9, 2014

A How Do: Irish Soda Bread

Irish Soda Bread

This has a special place in my heart as it is the first thing that I have ever made by myself or gone out of my way to make. No one helped me when I first made this.. eight plus years ago, when I couldn't cook to save my life nor had a desire to do so.  Sadly, this is not the same recipe as I first used. I couldn't find it. Wonderfully enough, this version smells the same, but tastes better. 

What you'll need:

Cookie sheet, slightly greased
Large mixing bowl
Wooden spoon
Oven pre-heated at 375F / 190C

4 cups of flour
4 tbls white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tbls baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup butter
1 cup milk (or buttermilk)
1 egg



Add dry ingredients to large bowl and mix.



Add milk, butter and egg. Using the wooden spoon to being the mixing process.


I like to mix till it looks like this.  Then I like to use my hands and kneed it a little.  Depending on humidity and such, I usually will add a little water to help absorb the remaining flour, if any, remaining in the bottom of the bowl.


It can get a tad messy, but as I like to say, 'messy food is good food.'



Form into a round ball and place on cookie sheet.  Melt a tab of butter and mix with milk and baste top of dough. (I like to continue to baste the dough with the remaining butter/milk mixture as it cooks.)


With a sharp knife cut a cross on top of the bread.


Bake for 45-50 minutes. Check at 30 minutes. When done, a toothpick will come out clean when inserted in the middle.


Should look like this.. well, hopefully yours will cooperate and your cross will remain unlike mine.


Regardless, enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment