Thursday, January 2, 2014

My “Done with College” Reading List for the New Year

I feel like I might be able to start reading again for my own pleasure. Throughout the whole year too! In the past few years the only times I have picked up non educational books have been during summer break when I wasn’t at my various part time jobs or on occasion during Thanksgiving break.  These books started with a few extra design / community / nature preservation driven books that I had wanted to read during the previous semester but never got too. My intentions were high but they slowly were overcome with a more humorous, light hearted reads like one of Chelsea Handler’s books. One summer, I read all of her books. I couldn’t help it; the easy read, funny yet twisted take on life and happenings in her life and family. They were a great escape from my ‘normal’ more serious reads. 


Anyways. I feel that I may have more time to read. And read books! I actively read articles and random bits online. And since working on my thesis project, I’ve slowly become addicted or conditioned myself to writing and reading almost daily now. I’m sure life will catch up to my optimistic thoughts of being able to read all the time. Or my cat, Boo, will try to hide my book with her fluffiness. Really, this is a problem. She’s been known to lay on my cell phone and/or keys making me late for various appointments because she doesn’t want me to leave. 


Regardless, here are a few of the books I hope to read in the next few months. 


 
Esme of Paris by Esme Davis, 1944

The Monuments Men. Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History. by Robert M. Edsel, 2009 (not pictured, it's in transit) 

Unfinished Tales by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1980

The Machine in the Garden. Technology and the Pastoral Ideal in America by Leo Marx, 1964

The Nature Principle. Reconnecting with Life in a Virtual Age by Richard Louv, 2012

Bittersweet, thoughts on change, grace and learning the hard way by Shauna Niequist, 2010

People and Nature, An Introduction to Human Ecological Relations, by Emilio F. Moran, 2006

The Granite Garden, Urban Nature and Human Design. by Anne Whiston Spirn, 1984

Landscape Traveled by Coyote and Crane. The World of the Schitsu’umsh (Coeur d’Alene Indians) by Rodney Frey in collaboration with The Schitsu’umsh, 2005

The Last of the Few. The Battle of Britain in the Words of the Pilots who Won it. by Max Arthur, 2010




Firstly, I need to finish my current book, which I started this summer and ashamedly still haven’t finished; Esme of Paris.  I found it at a thrift store and fell in love with it. I originally didn’t intend on reading it as I love to collect vintage books. But something about it just took over and I couldn’t help it. If you’re able to find a copy, I highly recommend it. It’s a first person account of a gypsy girl’s life in the early 1900’s and its fabulously detailed with historic happenings, places and name drops. I’ve been enjoying googling the people and things she talks about. So really, for me, this book has been a mini history lesson.



I realized this list isn't as intense as I thought it would be, and then I realized it's because the other books I'd love to read I don't own yet. So, at least this is a start. I also have digital copies of Alice in Wonderland and The Three Musketeers that I'd like to read as well.  


Also, I found (this top ten list) of best books in urban planning, design and development published in 2013. Most of these look like good reads too. So, if I'm hyper successful with the aforementioned books, then I plan on moving on to some books from this list.


No comments:

Post a Comment