Monday, December 16, 2013

Simple Italian Chicken with Roasted Potatoes and Streamed Broccoli

Here is one of my favorite meals to make. It's simple, tasty, filling and easy to make.



What you'll need:
Chicken! (I used white meat for this)
Broccoli
Potatoes
Italian Dressing
Herbs of your choice (I used Parsley, Italian mix, Oregano, and Rubbed Sage)
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper

An oven or pressure cooker
A glass casserole or baking dish, if using the oven
A cookie sheet
A steamer bit and a pot

For the Chicken:
Today, I used my green pan pressure cooker to save on time. Simply add chicken, frozen if you forgot to thaw it like I did, and add as much dressing as you like. Yes, it's that simple. And it's amazingly juicy. When I make this in the oven, I generally use enough dressing to come up one third of the way up the chicken breast.


(doesn't that look yummy...)

For the Potatoes: 
I love this part, it's easy and I make this style of potatoes a lot so the rhythm of making them is almost therapeutic to me. (I like getting the little potatoes if they're not too expensive. Red potatoes are amazing for this and really this will make any potato shine. Yes, I really do like potatoes..)
Wash and scrub removing grit and any bits.
Large dice to equal sized chucks. I like to have some a little smaller as they end up being more crispy.
Pat try with a paper towel. (This will take out any water from when you cut and washed them, and will aid in their roasty crispiness that is super addictive. While doing the dishes after dinner, I'll eat whatever's left if there is any.)
Disperse them on a cookie sheet.
Add olive oil, herbs, salt and pepper to your liking. You'll see in the picture how much I usually add and you can always start off with less, but I think this is generally the perfect amount.
Toss with your hands or utensils. I use my hands, I don't mind the quick oil treatment.
Stick in the oven till cooked and toasted. I usually set the oven for 350. If I'm baking something else I'll just use that temperature and adjust the time accordingly. They're really easy to work whatever time frame you like.







And roast them until they look like this:


For the Broccoli:
I always do this part last as it takes the least amount of time. Rinse and chop to your desired size. If using a steamer bit for a sauce pan, I like to add a dash of salt to the water that is in the pan. It will basically make the broccoli (or veggie chosen for steaming) pop. I'm usually multi-tasking while dinner is cooking or being really lazy - regardless I have a habit of not paying attention to time. Five to Seven minutes is when I check them, when I remember. When I don't usually, when you can smell broccoli - They're done. Also this will differ based on how you like them. I like anything from a light blanch to tender yet soft. 

(These ones are a little over done in my opinion but not terribly much.)

Plate everything, and ta-da! A simple, healthy and tasty meal. 



No comments:

Post a Comment